Among all Trim Healthy Mama Bloggers, Keto Bloggers, and so many other diet bloggers, I’ve always wondered something:
Who had the idea to melt mozzarella cheese and make it into super low carb dough?
It’s a great idea, don’t get me wrong, but the person who came up with must have been an absolute genius because I never in a million years would have thought of it.
Fast-forward to today, and if you do a search for #fathead or #fatheaddough on Instagram or Pinterest, you’ll discover that Fathead dough (or Mozzarella Dough, as it’s also called) is a staple in the Trim Healthy Mama, Ketogenic, and Low Carb Community because it’s easy to make, mildly flavored, and can be manipulated into having a texture like many different types of breads.
Today, I’m going to show you how to make 5-ingredient Fathead Bagels, because you’ll find that when eating low carb or THM:S, you miss bread.
5-Ingredient Fathead Bagel Recipe
(46/60) 👈 days #keto I just made #fathead bagels and oh. Em. Gee. They are amazinggggg! I was very apprehensive about trying these, but they turned out so well I have a while see off recipes planned for this type of dough! . Ingredients: 1.75 cups Almond Flour 1 T Baking Powder 2.5 cups Shredded Mozzarella 2 oz Cream Cheese 1 lg. egg Sesame seeds, or garnish of choice . Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix the almond flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside. 2. Place the Mozzarella and cream cheese in a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the cheese is completely melted. 3. Add the almond flour mixture and egg to the melted cheese and use your hands to combine all the ingredients until thoroughly mixed. The dough will be very sticky, but it's important to mix it quickly while still hot and make sure it is very well combined. 4. Divide the dough into 6 even parts, rolling each out into a rope, then molding each rope into the shape of a bagel. 5. Top with sesame seeds, if desired, and bake at 400 for 10-14 minutes. Let them cool for a few minutes then remove from the baking sheet and enjoy! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . #weightloss #goals #fitfam #quotes #quotestoliveby #motivation #strong #workout #believe #inspire #determination #youcandoit #provethemwrong #noexcuses #morninginspiration #gym #fitnessmotivation #fitnessjourney #weightloss #fattofit #weightlossjourney #fitfam #fit #fitness #instafit #life #eatingclean #fatgirlfedupsdietbet #progressnotperfection #obesetobeast
Creating a low-carb bagel replacement has been on my list for weeks, and I’ve made I-don’t-know-how-many batches of Fathead dough trying to get the consistency right and make it as easy to mix as possible.
But, after trying a recipe for Fathead Pizza Crust, I realized I could make a few subtle changes and turn that same dough into chewy, mild Keto Bagels.
The uses for this dough are endless, really. I have recipes coming for the aforementioned Fathead Pizza Crust, as well as others for Cinnamon Sugar Keto Pretzels, Pretzel Dogs, Fathead Danish and more!
I try to create recipes with no special ingredients, but by nature cooking without sugar, and in this case without carbohydrates requires some special ingredients. Here are the ones I used in this Fathead Bagel Recipe:
You may also enjoy:
- Trim Healthy Mama 101
- My Recipe Index
- Ketogenic & THM:S Recipes
- Crockpot Taco Soup (THM:S, Ketogenic)
- How to Cook Bacon in The Microwave
- 1¾ cups Almond Flour
- 1 T Baking Powder
- 2.5 cups Shredded Mozzarella
- 2 oz Cream Cheese
- 2 lg Eggs
- Sesame Seeds, or garnish of choice
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix the almond flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- Place the Mozzarella and cream cheese in a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the cheese is completely melted.
- Add the almond flour mixture and eggs to the melted cheese and use your hands to combine all the ingredients until thoroughly mixed. The dough will be very sticky, but it's important to mix it quickly while still hot, and make sure it is very well combined.
- Divide the dough into 6 even parts, rolling each out into a rope, then molding each rope into the shape of a bagel.
- Top with sesame seeds, if desired, and baked at 400 for 10-14 minutes. Let them cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet and then remove and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links See my disclosures for more information.