Savoring the delightful flavors of tart cranberries and oranges doesn't have to be a distant memory when you're following a ketogenic lifestyle. These keto cranberry orange muffins are a testament to the idea that you can indulge in scrumptious treats while keeping your carb intake in check. Bursting with tangy cranberries and zesty orange, these muffins are a delectable way to enjoy the vibrant flavors of fall without derailing your dietary goals.
Health Benefits of Cranberries
Fresh cranberries are only available in most grocery stores during the holiday season.
And during that time they're usually an especially good price.
Even better, cranberries boast tons of health benefits, such as:
- High levels of antioxidants,
- Lowered risk of UTI
- Immune-boosting powers
- Anti-Inflammatory properties
- Decreasing blood pressure
- and packed with Vitamin C
We choose to stock up on an abundance of cranberries while they're cheap and in-season, then we load up on the the low carb baked good we enjoy made with them.
The rest, we freeze or can to be used later in the year.
New Recipes You'll Love:
3-Ingredient Pumpkin Fluff
Keto Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins
Keto Sugar Free Strawberry Pie
Keto Raspberry Crumble Bars
The Best Sweeteners for Keto Muffins
I'm so glad for all of the keto sweetener options available on grocery stores shelves and online. There has never been more choice, which means there is something for every taste and budget.
Unfortunately, it also means that there is a wide variety of products to choose from which range from high-quality, to cheap and low quality.
My favorite sugar-free sweetener for nearly every keto recipe that involves baking is Lakanto Baking Sweetener. In my opinion, this sweetener tastes and bakes the best, is a reasonable price, and does an excellent job of not spiking blood sugar because of the high quality ingredients it's made from.
If you would like to try Lakanto Baking Sweetener for yourself, use code FITMOMJOURNEY during check out to save $$ on your purchase.
Other good options include:
I do not like Splenda or sucralose baking sweeteners. They bake well, but both have been linked to increased blood glucose, migraines, gut bacteria degradation, diarrhea and bloating, and certain cancers.
Ingredients for Keto Orange Cranberry Muffins
Before you embark on your keto cranberry orange muffin adventure, gather these essential ingredients:
- Almond Flour: Almond flour is a low-carb, high-fat alternative to traditional wheat flour. It provides a tender crumb and nutty flavor to your muffins.
- Keto Sweetener: Choose your preferred keto-friendly sweetener, such as erythritol, stevia, or monk fruit sweetener. These sweeteners add the right amount of sweetness without the carbs. My favorite for all things baking is Lakanto Baking Sweetener (save $$ with code FITMOMJOURNEY)
- Orange Extract and Zest: Infuses your muffins with a burst of orange flavor.
- Cranberries: Opt for fresh or frozen cranberries. Be mindful of using dried cranberries, as they often contain added sugars.
- Eggs: Eggs bind the ingredients together, providing structure to your muffins.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder helps your muffins rise and achieve that perfect, fluffy texture.
- Sea Salt: A pinch of salt balances the sweetness and enhances the flavors in your muffins.
- Butter at room temperature: This source of healthy fats add moisture and richness to your muffins.
How to Make Keto Cranberry Muffins
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a muffin tin with paper or silicone liners.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk almond flour, baking powder, orange zest, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, cream together the butter, eggs, orange extract and keto sweetener using a stand mixer or electric mixer.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Gently fold in cranberries. Be mindful not to overmix.
- Scoop the muffin batter into the prepared muffin tin (using muffin liners), filling each cup about two-thirds full.
- Using a fork, mix together softened butter, almond flour, and sweetener for the crumble topping. Sprinkle evenly over each portion of muffin batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sift keto powdered sugar over muffins, if desired, and enjoy with a cup of hot coffee.
Other Flavors for Keto Muffins
The beauty of this keto cranberry orange muffin recipe lies in its versatility. While cranberry and orange are a delightful combination, you can experiment with other flavors:
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins: Swap the orange for lemon zest and juice, and substitute cranberries with fresh blueberries for a zesty twist.
- Chocolate Chip Muffins: If you're a chocolate lover, fold in some sugar-free chocolate chips for a decadent treat.
- Raspberry Almond Muffins: Replace cranberries with fresh or frozen raspberries and use almond extract to complement the flavors.
- Cinnamon Spice Muffins: Add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the batter and sprinkle the tops with a touch of cinnamon for a warm and cozy variation.
Keto Cranberry Orange Muffins FAQ's
How Many Carbs and Net Carbs in the Recipe?
In your keto cranberry orange muffins, the primary sources of carbs come from almond flour, cranberries, and the natural sugars in oranges. The total carb count can vary depending on the size and number of muffins you make. However, on average, one standard-sized keto cranberry orange muffin contains approximately 5-7 grams of total carbs.
To calculate net carbs, subtract dietary fiber from the total carbs. In this recipe, the fiber content comes mainly from almond flour. On average, one muffin may have around 3-4 grams of net carbs.
These numbers make keto cranberry orange muffins a relatively keto diet friendly treat when enjoyed in moderation.
Does the recipe require thickeners?
Many keto baking recipes you see will require a low carb thickener, like xanthan gum, or gelatin. I like both of those ingredients, but this recipe requires neither.
Why Orange Zest and Extract Instead or Orange Juice?
Orange Juice is higher in much higher in carbs than both orange zest and orange extract, and provides much less flavor.
How To Store Keto Cranberry orange Muffins?
Store in the refrigerator, in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Reheat for 10 seconds in the microwave to reach nearly fresh-out-of-the oven consistency. You can also freeze these muffins for up to 1 month.
Keto cranberry orange grain-free muffins are a delectable way to celebrate the flavors of fall without compromising your low-carb lifestyle. By choosing the right keto-approved ingredients, you can relish the combination of tangy cranberries and zesty oranges in every bite. Plus, with various flavor variations, you can cater these muffins to your personal taste. So, indulge in the vibrant taste of cranberry and orange while staying true to your ketogenic goals.