The Best Keto Coffee
Coffee, a beloved and centuries-old beverage, has journeyed through history, through many generations and cultures.
From the traditional Turkish coffee to the beloved espresso, its enticing aroma and bold flavors have delighted coffee enthusiasts around the world.
In the contemporary era, coffee isn't just about tradition; it's a thriving industry that offers a spectrum of coffee creations.
For those adhering to the ketogenic diet, finding the perfect coffee can be a delicious challenge.
This article explores the best coffee choices for keto enthusiasts, whether you're at a Starbucks, your local coffee shop, or in your own kitchen.
The Best Starbucks Orders for a Ketogenic Diet
Starbucks, with its ubiquitous presence, has become a go-to destination for coffee lovers. For keto aficionados, ordering the right coffee at Starbucks can be a breeze:
- Iced Coffee: Opt for unsweetened iced coffee with a splash of heavy cream or almond milk. Request “no classic syrup” to keep it keto-friendly, and to keep calories down to help with weight loss.
- Americano: A classic Americano is simply espresso and water. Add cream and your choice of low-carb sweetener.
- Café Misto: A Café Misto is essentially half brewed coffee and half steamed milk. Request almond milk or heavy cream for a keto-friendly version.
- Espresso Shots: If you prefer your coffee short and strong, go for espresso shots. Add a dollop of heavy cream or a sprinkle of cinnamon for flavor.
Best Coffee Orders at Small Coffee Shops
Local coffee shops often offer a more personalized coffee experience. To stay keto, keep these orders in mind:
- Black Coffee: The simplest choice is often the best. Go for a plain black coffee, hot or iced, and customize it with your choice of keto-friendly creamer.
- Café au Lait: Similar to a Café Misto, a Café au Lait combines brewed coffee with steamed milk. Ask for almond milk or heavy cream.
- Cold Brew: Opt for unsweetened cold brew coffee and tailor it with keto-approved additions like unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk.
- Bulletproof Coffee: Some small shops offer Bulletproof Coffee, a keto favorite made with coffee, grass-fed butter, and MCT oil. It's rich in healthy fats and offers sustained energy.
Making Keto Coffee at Home
Creating keto-friendly coffee at home gives you full control over ingredients. Choose keto-approved sweeteners, syrups, and creamers to customize your perfect cup:
- Keto-Friendly Sweeteners: Options like erythritol, stevia, or monk fruit sweeteners add sweetness without the sugar content. Experiment to find your favorite. (my favorites are these)
- Coffee Syrups: Look for sugar-free coffee syrups in various flavors to add a twist to your coffee. Popular options include vanilla, caramel, and hazelnut, and these have clean ingredients + taste great.
- Creamers: Heavy cream is a keto staple, but you can also use unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, or MCT oil for creaminess. All the best keto creamers can be found here.
My viral keto coffee recipe is right here.
Best Healthy Fats to Include in Homemade Keto Coffees
Healthy fats are a key component of keto coffee, providing satiety and a source of energy. These are some of the top choices for your homemade keto brew:
- Grass-Fed Butter: A classic ingredient in Bulletproof Coffee, grass-fed butter adds a rich, creamy texture and essential omega-3 fatty acids.
- MCT Oil: MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) oil, derived from coconut oil, is a rapid source of energy and can boost ketone production.
- Coconut Oil: Unrefined coconut oil adds a mild coconut flavor and a dose of healthy fats to your coffee.
- Heavy Cream: A keto staple, heavy cream provides richness and an excellent source of fat. Use it in moderation to avoid excess calories.
Homemade Keto Coffee Recipes
- Bulletproof Coffee:
- Brew a cup of your favorite coffee.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed butter and 1-2 tablespoons of MCT oil.
- Blend until frothy and enjoy.
- Keto Iced Coffee:
- Brew a strong cup of coffee and let it cool.
- Add ice, a splash of unsweetened almond milk, and a keto-friendly sweetener.
- Stir well and enjoy your iced keto coffee.
- Keto Caramel Macchiato:
- Brew a cup of coffee and let it cool.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of sugar-free caramel syrup and heavy cream.
- Top with whipped cream if desired.
The Health Benefits of Coffee
While enjoying your coffee, remember that it's not just a delicious beverage; it also offers health benefits. Studies have shown that moderate coffee consumption may lead to a reduced risk of certain diseases, including Parkinson's disease and type 2 diabetes.
Coffee is also known for its antioxidant properties, which can help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals.
Additionally, caffeine, a natural component in coffee, may boost alertness and cognitive function.
Coffee & The State of Ketosis
Coffee, a beloved beverage with a rich history, has evolved to cater to modern tastes and preferences.
For those on a keto diet, there's a world of keto-friendly coffee options waiting to be explored.
Whether you're ordering from Starbucks, your local coffee shop, or brewing at home, the keto coffee choices are as diverse as the coffee itself.
So, sip your keto coffee with delight, knowing that you can enjoy your favorite brew while staying true to your low-carb, high-fat dietary goals.