Pin this recipe for later.
Slow Cooker Keto General Tso's Chicken
I've been working on this recipe for a while, and have definitely had some bumps along the way (like Bourbon Chicken)
But I've finally created a Slow Cooker Keto General Tso's Chicken that tastes just as good – if not better – than the stuff you get as takeout.
Since I am all about easy and healthful recipes – and the hubs was a fan – I'm adding this recipe to our regular meal rotation.
This is a great place to use some of the chicken breasts we got from Zaycon Foods for $0.99/lb – no more dry, boring chicken!
Allergy-Friendly, and WOE Friendly Options for Keto General Tso's Chicken:
- Bone Broth: In this recipe, I've used 2 scoops of Ketologie Bone Broth + 1 cup of water for my bone broth in the sauce. Ketologie's powdered bone broth is my absolute favorite way of utilizing bone bone broth (and you can take 10% off of yours with the code “fmjketo18” ), but if you don't have any, simply sub your favorite bone broth. Or if you're not a bone broth person, just use regular chicken stock. (Not sure if you should be using bone broth? Check out the 7 Benefits of Bone Broth to see if it's right for you)
- Xanthan Gum – substitute with Arrowroot powder for Paleo/Whole30
- Coconut Oil – you can also use Ghee or Avocado Oil, but 2 cups is a LOT. So I recommend purchasing 1 gallon of coconut oil here for about $18, then storing what's left after frying in the fridge to use next time, rather than wasting it.
- Soy Sauce/Coconut Aminos: Use Coconut Aminos in place of the Soy Sauce for Paleo/Whole30. Or, you can use Gluten Free Tamari for a great allergy-friendly option.
- Ketchup gives the sauce great color, but is often loaded with sugar and preservatives. I used Alternasweets Stevia-sweetened ketchup to make this Keto. It's also gluten-free and sweetened with stevia, so not Whole30 or Paleo. For those diets, you may need to make your own ketchup or use concentrated tomato paste.
Keto General Tso is so easy to make in the slow cooker. Simply brown the chicken in boil, toss it in the slow cooker, top it with sauce and you're good to go!
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
Keto Beef Stew (THM:S, Low Carb, Keto)
Slow Cooker Crack Chicken (THM:S, Low Carb, Keto)
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas (THM:S, Low Carb, Keto)
Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff (THM:S, Low Carb, Keto)
Quick Crockpot Cheesy Broccoli Soup (THM:S, Low Carb, Keto)
Affiliate Links: the following links will take you to some of the tools I used to create this recipe. When you purchase through my link, I get a small commission, at no cost to you, which helps to support the cost of running this site. This means more FREE recipes and resources for you.
- InstantPot (this is the one I have)
- Beef Bone Broth
- Alternasweets Ketchup
- Coconut Aminos
- Gluten-Free Tamari
- 1-Gallon Coconut Oil
- Xanthan Gum
- Perfect Keto
- The Keto Box
Keto General Tso's Chicken
This recipe for Keto General Tso's Chicken tastes just as good - if not better - than the stuff you get from takeout. Its low carb, ketogenic, gluten free, sugar free, and a THM:S!
- 3 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 cup Xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 2 cups Coconut Oil for Browning
- For the sauce:
- 1 T Soy Sauce or Coconut Aminos
- 1 cup Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 T Red Chili Paste
- 5 T Swerve
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 T Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 T Vinegar
- 2 T Paleo Ketchup
- 1 T Red Chili Flakes
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot on the stove.
- Cube the chicken, then sprinkle it with the salt and pepper. In a large ziploc bag, sprinkle half of the Xanthan Gum in the bottom. Put the chicken in the bag and top it with the rest of the Xanthan Gum. Toss to Coat.
- Cook the chicken in the coconut oil in batches, about 4 minutes per batch, until lightly browned. Transfer chicken to your slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, mix all of the sauce ingredients. Pour it over the browned chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 2.5 - 4 hours.
- Then, about 30 minutes before serving, gentle mix the chicken, then switch the slow cooker to high to thicken up the sauce.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 636Total Fat: 59gSaturated Fat: 46gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 774mgCarbohydrates: 8gNet Carbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 16g
Get Keto Recipes delivered straight to your inbox:
This post may contain affiliate links. See my disclosures for more information.
Diana Dianana says
What is the nutritional information for the General Tso Chicken?
Stacia Jahnke says
I just figured the macros and umm..MyFitnessPal says it has 63 carbs per serving! Minus the 11 fiber makes it 52 net carbs! Surely this isn’t right?! I hope not because I just made it for hubby and I 🙁 Please let us know!
Gretchen Lindow says
Most likely you’re seeing the sugar alcohols from the Swerve in the recipe. MyFitnessPal doesn’t automatically subtract sugar alcohols – or even show them in the nutrition facts – and that throws things off. All of my recipes already have all sugar alcohols subtracted.
Zoritsa Nepenthe says
This was amazing! I didn’t add the cayenne and it was still spicy. I also didn’t cook it in the slow cooker. This recipe is definitely a keeper!
Can you be more specific about the chicken breasts, they vary in size so much – are these 3 whole breasts or 3 breast halves?
Carrie Silcox says
I wish you would post the nutrition facts for people. Turned out very nicely though. Thank you
I’ve never used Xanthan Gum and I don’t know what I did wrong. The sauce was AH-MAZING, and I was so excited about this chicken. I cooked it with the xanthan gum, put the sauce on it, took pictures of my beautiful creation and sent it to like three people in messenger, shared it on two Facebook pages….. and then I went to eat it and I had to actually literally spit it out. I was devastated. Lol I’m about to try again but I’ll just put the sauce on plain chicken and nix the xanthan gum. I really think I just did something wrong but I’m afraid to try again. I wasted so much chicken. 😆
Gretchen Lindow says
It may be that you don’t like the texture Xanthan Gum gives the sauce. Try Glucomannan, or Arrowroot powder to thicken the sauce instead. You may prefer that 🙂